Creating a community around your coffee shop is a great way to build relationships with your customers and create a sense of loyalty. By building a sense of community, customers will keep coming back to your shop because they feel like they belong, and that their presence is valued. Shops that created communities mentioned that it can be a great way to get to know your regulars and their needs better, so that you can tailor your services and offerings to their preferences. It can also be a great way to connect with other businesses in the area, which can help to increase your reach and visibility in the community. "It's a great way to increase word-of-mouth marketing, as customers feel more connected with your shop and are likely to recommend it to friends and family" said Alex Suval, head of community building at Orda.
We gathered 6 tips and best practices on how to create a community for coffee shops
Organize events to bring people together: Host events such as live music, art shows, movie nights, and more. Encourage customers to come in, mingle, and enjoy the atmosphere.
- Host a coffee tasting: Invite people to a coffee tasting event to sample different varieties and brewing methods.
- Coffee-related educational classes: Offer classes on topics such as coffee brewing techniques, coffee culture and history, or coffee-related art or music.
- Coffee-themed competitions: Host barista competitions, latte art competitions, or coffee recipe contests.
- Coffee-focused outings: Take a group to visit a local roaster, coffee shop, or cafe.
- Coffee-themed movie nights: Invite people to watch movies and documentaries related to coffee, such as “Coffee: The Documentary” or “A Film About Coffee”. Latte art lessons: Teach people how to make beautiful latte art designs.
- Coffee meet-ups and happy hours: Host informal meet-ups and happy hours at local coffee spots.
Make customer feedback a priority: Make sure to take customer feedback and suggestions seriously. Ask for feedback about the service, drinks, food, and atmosphere and take their feedback into consideration to improve the overall customer experience.
- Send out surveys via email
- Poll customers on social media
- Host focus groups
- Conduct one-on-one interviews
- Ask customers to complete a short survey after a purchase
- Create an online forum for customers to share their ideas
- Create an online Q&A page to allow customers to ask questions
- Use customer service feedback forms
- Offer incentives for customers who provide feedback
- Monitor customer reviews and feedback on third-party websites
Offer discounts and loyalty programs: Create loyalty programs that benefit the customers and reward them for their continued patronage. Offer discounts or free items for customers who reach a certain level of purchases.
- Buy 10 drinks get 1 free
- A discount for customers who join the loyalty program
- Monthly contests with prizes for loyalty members
- Reward customers for writing reviews and referring friends
- Special discounts for loyalty members on their birthdays
Offer free Wi-Fi: Create a free Wi-Fi network for customers to use while they enjoy your coffee shop. This will encourage customers to stay longer and build relationships with each other.
Create an online forum: Create an online forum where customers can interact with each other and discuss relevant topics. This will help create a sense of community and allow customers to share their experiences and advice.
- Coffee brewing tips
- Coffee shop menu ideas
- Coffee-related industry news
- Coffee shop marketing strategies
- Roasting techniques
- Favorite coffee drinks
- Barista competitions
- Coffee-related travel experiences
- Trends in the coffee industry
- Ideas for your coffee shop products and services
Support Local Around You
Support local organizations and charities: Get involved in the local community by sponsoring charity events, donating to local organizations, and hosting fundraisers.